Chlamydia pneumoniae – “innocent bystander”, indicator of prior infection, or persistent intracellular pathogen?
Microbiologic features of chlamydia
- Everett K.D.
- Bush R.M.
- Andersen A.A.
- Everett K.D.
- Bush R.M.
- Andersen A.A.
Pathobiology of chlamydial infections
Chlamydia pneumoniae and inflammation
- Mayr M.
- Metzler B.
- Kiechl S.
- Willeit J.
- Schett G.
- Xu Q.
- Wick G.
Chlamydia pneumoniae, vascular inflammation, and atherosclerosis
Pathogenetic significance of atherosclerosis and c. pneumoniae in diabetics
Is c. pneumoniae likely to be the only pathogen involved in atherosclerosis?
Detecting c. pneumoniae in chronic leg and diabetic foot ulcers
Source of c. pneumoniae in chronic skin ulcers
Is a specific skin type cell the source of c. pneumoniae in chronic skin ulcers?
Does c. pneumoniae infection predipose patients to develop chronic skin ulcers?
Chlamydia pneumoniae, skin infections, or ulcerations and diabetes
Chlamydia pneumoniae, serum lipids, dm, and atherosclerosis
- Sezary T-cell activating factor is a Chlamydia pneumoniae-associated protein.Clin Diagnostic Lab Immunol. 1999; 6: 895-905
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in human monocytes.Infect Immun. 1999; 67: 1445-1449
- Identification and localization of Chlamydia pneumoniae in the Alzheimer's brain.Med Microbiol Immunol. 1998; 187: 23-42
- Association of serology with the endovascular presence of Chlamydia pneumoniae and cytomegalovirus in coronary artery and vein graft disease.Circ. 2000; 101: 137-141
- Persistent Chlamydiae from cell culture to a paradigm for chlamydial pathogenesis.Microbiol Rev. 1994; 58: 686-699
- Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae and not of Helicobacter pylori in atherosclerotic plaques of aortic aneurysms.J Clin Microbiol. 1996; 34: 2766-2769
- Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA detection in peripheral blood mononuclear cells is predictive of vascular infection.J Infect Dis. 1999; 180: 2074-2076
- High prevalence of Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in patients with cardiovascular diseases and in middle-aged blood donors.J Infect Dis. 1998; 178: 274-277
- Type III secretion in Chlamydia.Mol Microbiol. 1998; 28: 860-862
- Pathogenesis of macrovascular disease in diabetes.in: CR Kahn GC Weir Joslin's Diabetes Mellitus 13th edn. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger1994: 648-664
- Infection and atherosclerosis – focus on cytomegalovirus and Chlamydia pneumoniae.J Clin Pathol. 1998; 51: 793-797
- Multiple infections in carotid atherosclerotic plaques.Am Heart J. 1999; 138: S534-S536
- Molecular biology of Chlamydia pneumoniae surface proteins and their role in immunopathogenicity.Am Heart J. 1999; 138: S491-S495
- Chlamydia pneumoniae antibody titers are significantly associated with acute stroke and transient cerebral ischemia. The West Birmingham Stroke Project.Stroke. 1998; 29: 404-410
- Chronic infections and coronary heart disease: is there a link?.Lancet. 1997; 350: 430-436
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection of vascular smooth muscle and endothelial cells activates NF-kappa B and induces tissue factor and PAI-1 expression: a potential link to accelerated arteriosclerosis.Circ. 1999; 100: 1369-1373
- Chronic wounds.Surgl Clin NA. 1997; 77: 689-700
- Infection and atherosclerosis: emerging mechanistic paradigms.Circ. 1999; 100: 20-28
- Emended description of the order Chlamydiales, proposal of Parachlamydiaceae fam.nov. & Simkaniaceae fam.nov., each containing one monotypic genus, revised taxonomy of the family Chlamydiaceae, including a new genus and five new species, and standards for the identification of organisms.Int J System Bacteriol. 1999; 49: 415-440
- Can an antibiotic (macrolide) prevent Chlamydia pneumoniae-induced atherosclerosis in a rabbit model?.Clin Diag Lab Immunol. 1999; 6: 891-894
- Chlamydia pneumoniae inhibits apoptosis in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells through induction of IL-10.J Immunol. 2000; 164: 5522-5529
- Frequency of apolipoprotein E (APOE) allele types in patients with Chlamydia-associated arthritis and other arthritides.Microb Pathogen. 1999; 26: 35-43
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in circulating monocytes is refractory to antibiotic treatment.Circ. 2001; 103: 351-356
- Infection caused by Chlamydia pneumoniae, strain TWAR.Clin Infect Dis. 1992; 15: 757-761
- The role of Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerosis.Clin Infect Dis. 1999; 28: 993-994
- A new Chlamydia psittaci strain, TWAR, isolated in acute respiratory tract infections.N Eng J Med. 1986; 315: 161-168
- Origins and functions of the chlamydial inclusion.Trends Microbiol. 1997; 5: 288-293
- The atherogenic effects of Chlamydia are dependent on serum cholesterol and specific to Chlamydia pneumoniae.J Clin Invest. 1999; 103: 747-753
- Type III protein secretion systems in bacterial pathogens of animals and plants.Microbiol Molec Biol Rev. 1998; 62: 379-433
- Prevalence of asymptomatic nasopharyngeal carriage of Chlamydia pneumoniae in subjectively healthy adults: assessment by polymerase chain reaction, enzyme immunoassay and culture.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 1174-1178
- The molecular mechanism of T-cell control of Chlamydia in mice: role of nitric oxide.Immunol. 1996; 87: 1-8
- Glucose metabolism in Chlamydia trachomatis: the “energy parasite” hypothesis revisited.Mol Microbiol. 1999; 33: 177-187
- Specificity of detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in cardiovascular atheroma: evaluation of the innocent bystander hypothesis.Am J Pathol. 1997; 150: 1785-1790
- Chlamydia pneumoniae component that induces macrophage foam cell formation is chlamydial lipopolysaccaride.Infect Immun. 1998; 66: 5067-5072
- Cellular oxidation of low-density lipoprotein by Chlamydia pneumoniae.J Infect Dis. 1999; 180: 780-790
- Comparative genomes of C. trachomatis and C. pneumoniae.Nat Genet. 1999; 21: 385-389
- Association of C. pneumoniae infection with diabetic nephropathy.Diab Res Clin Pract. 2000; 47: 45-48
- Management of chronic ischemia of the lower extremities. Introduction and general considerations.in: RB Rutherford Vascular Surgery 4th edn. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders1995: 741-751
- Diabetic foot ulcers and Chlamydia pneumoniae. Innocent bystander of opportunistic pathogen?.Arch Dermatol. 2001; 127: 561-562
- Chlamydial heat shock protein 60 localizes in human atheroma and regulates macrophage tumor necrosis factor-alpha and matrix metalloproteinase expression.Circ. 1998; 198: 300-307
- Chlamydial lipopolysaccharide.Biochim Biophysica Acta. 1999; 1455: 387-402
- Signal transduction pathways activated in endothelial cells following infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae.J Immuno. 1999; 162: 4834-4841
- A sensitive cell line, HL cells, for isolation and propagation of Chlamydia pneumoniae strain TWAR.J Infect Dis. 1990; 162: 755-758
- Chlamydia pneumoniae antibodies associated with altered serum lipid profile.Int J Circumpolar Health. 1998; 57: 329-332
- Chlamydial heat shock proteins and disease pathology: new paradigms for old problems?.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 7: 64-71
- Definitions and guidelines for assessment of wounds and evaluation of healing.Arch Dermatol. 1994; 130: 489-493
- Interaction of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection with other risk factors of atherosclerosis.Am Heart J. 1999; 138: S504-S506
- Failure to demonstrate Chlamydia pneumoniae in symptomatic abdominal aneurysms by a nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR).Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1998; 15: 161-164
- Comparison of sample preparation methods for detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in broncheoalveolar lavage fluid by PCR.J Clin Microbiol. 1994; 32: 2616-2619
- Evaluation of culture conditions used for isolation of Chlamydia pneumoniae.Am J Clin Pathol. 1995; 103: 141-148
- Endovascular presence of Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA is a generalized phenomenon in atherosclerotic vascular disease.Atherosclerosis. 1998; 140: S25-S30
- Reliability and validity of the clinical interpretation of a healed chronic wound.Wound Repair Regeneration. 1996; 4: 335-338
- Risk factors associated with the failure of a venous leg ulcer to heal.Arch Dermatol. 1999; 135: 920-926
- Healing of diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers receiving standard treatment.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 692-695
- Endothelial cytotoxicity mediated by serum antibodies to heat shock proteins of Escherichia coli and Chlamydia pneumoniae: immune reactions to heat shock proteins as a possible link between infection and atherosclerosis.Circ. 1999; 99: 1560-1566
- Murine models of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and atherosclerosis.J Infect Dis. 1997; 175: 883-890
- Evidence of systemic dissemination of Chlamydia pneumoniae via macrophages in the mouse.J Infect Dis. 1998; 177: 1322-1325
- Infection of human endothelial cells with Chlamydia pneumoniae stimulates transendothelial migration of neutrophils and monocytes.Infect Immun. 1999; 67: 1323-1330
- Diagnosis and classification of chronic wounds.Clin Dermatol. 1994; 12: 3-11
- Bacterial infections and atherosclerosis.J Invest Med. 1998; 46: 396-402
- Infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae accelerates the development of atherosclerosis and treatment with azithromycin prevents it in a rabbit model.Circ. 1998; 97: 633-636
- Toll-like receptors a growing family of immune receptors that are differentially expressed and regulated by different leukocytes.J Leukoc Biol. 2000; 67: 450-456
- Enhancement of ATP levels and glucose metabolism during infection by Chlamydia: NMR studies of living cells.J Biol Chem. 1998; 273: 7052-7058
- Chronic cutaneous ulcers: etiology and epidemiology.J Invest Dermatol. 1994; 102: 38S-41S
- Optimizing culture of Chlamydia pneumoniae by using multiple centrifugations.J Clin Microbiol. 1999; 37: 3399-3401
- Genome sequences of Chlamydia trachomatis MoPn and Chlamydia pneumoniae AR39.Nucl Acids Res. 2000; 28: 1397-1406
- C-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation in the prediction of cardiovascular disease in women.N Eng J Med. 2000; 342: 836-843
- Wound infection: a failure of wound healing caused by an imbalance of bacteria.Surg Clin NA. 1997; 77: 637-650
- Atherosclerosis an inflammatory disease.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 115-126
- Structural analysis of the lipopolysaccharide from Chlamydia trachomatis serotype L2.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 16819-16824
- Evaluation of two serological tests for the diagnosis of chlamydial respiratory diseases.Pathol. 1999; 31: 403-405
- Animal models for Chlamydia pneumoniae infection.Atherosclerosis. 1998; 140: S17-S19
- Serological evidence of an association of a novel Chlamydia, TWAR, with chronic coronary heart disease and acute myocardial infarction.Lancet. 1988; 2: 983-986
- : Culture and immunohistochemical identification of Chlamydia pneumoniae in ulcerative pyoderma gangrenosum.J Am Acad Dermatol. in press. 2001
- Chlamydia pneumoniae-induced ciliostasis in ciliated bronchial epithelial cells.J Infect Dis. 1995; 171: 1274-1278
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and atherosclerosis.J Am Med Assoc. 1999; 282: 2071-2073
- Multiple sclerosis associated with Chlamydia pneumoniae infection of the CNS.Neurol. 1998; 50: 571-572
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection of the central nervous system in multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 1999; 46 (10.1002/1531-8249(199907)46:1<6::aid-ana4>3.3.co;2-d): 6-14
- Reply to Cann et al. Chlamydia, Rickettsia, and antibiotic treatment of multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2000; 47 (10.1002/1531-8249(200003)47:3>409::AID-ANA26>3.3.CO;2-A): 409-411
- Challenge of Chlamydia research.Infect Agents Dis. 1992; 6: 279-293
- Role of Chlamydia pneumoniae in connective tissue diseases.AFC. 1998; 2: S31-S38
- The pathogenesis of systemic Chlamydial infections: theoretical considerations of host cell energy depletion and its metabolic consequences.Antimicrobics Infectious Dis Newsletter. 1997; 16: 33-38
- Does Chlamydia pneumoniae play a role in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis?.J Med Microbiol. 2000; 49: 1-3
- Chlamydia pneumoniae in arteries: the facts, their interpretation and future studies.J Clin Pathol. 1998; 51: 793-797
- Two nucleoside transport proteins in C. trachomatis, one for net nucleoside triphosphate uptake and the other for transport of energy.J Bacteriol. 1999; 181: 1196-1202
- Pyoderma gangrenosum and Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in a diabetic man: pathogenic role or coincidence?.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000; 42: 295-297
- The immunobiology and immunopathology of chlamydial infections.APMIS. 1995; 103: 769-796
- Failure to detect Chlamydia pneumoniae in coronary atheromas of patients undergoing atherectomy.J Infect Dis. 1996; 173: 957-962
- Persistent chlamydial envelope antigens in antibiotic-exposed infected cells trigger neutrophil chemotaxsis.J Infect Dis. 1999; 179: 954-966
- Effects of total pathogen burden on coronary artery risk and C-reactive protein levels.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 85: 140-146
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy